Pages

Thursday, October 8, 2020

The Call with Laurie Stroup Smith

Around the age of nine, I remember telling my parents I wanted to be an author, but my interests later led me to become a Certified Athletic Trainer. Writing has always been important to me. One of my college professors requested a copy of my master’s thesis to keep as an example for other students, and the manager of the physical therapy clinic where I worked asked me to help write new versions of our treatment protocols. While serving for six years as a Girl Scout Troop Leader, I started a blog as a resource for other leaders. But it wasn’t until I wrote a story for our daughters and shared it with an author friend, who then encouraged me to pursue writing, that I remembered my childhood dream.

In the hopes of helping our daughters who were grieving the loss of two grandparents, I started writing a story about a seventh-grade girl who needed to rely on her faith to get through a tough time. Inspiration for the book originated from an image of a quilt I saw on Facebook. In 2017, I attended the ACFW Conference and pitched the idea for what is now known as Pockets of Promise. Julie Gwinn expressed interest in the story but strongly suggested I instead consider telling the story from the point of view of a young Amish woman during her Rumspringa. I wrote the book and sent it to Julie who then offered to represent me.

Three years after submitting Pockets of Promise, as I was editing my seventh manuscript, I received THE CALL. Julie had found a home for Mariah’s story, helping me land a three-book contract with Vinspire Publishing.


Laurie's debut novel, Pockets of Promise


About Laurie Stroup Smith:


While writing Amish fiction and contemporary romance, Laurie Stroup Smith strives to inspire her audience to serve others. She was named a Finalist in the 2017 ACFW First Impressions Contest and a Semi-Finalist in the 2018 and 2019 ACFW Genesis Contests. She has been interviewed by Loveland Magazine and been a guest on the Buggy Talk and Fierce Calling Podcast. 


Before writing, Laurie earned a bachelor’s degree in both athletic training and exercise science and later obtained her master’s degree in health promotion and education. She now writes full time and lives with her husband and their two daughters in Cincinnati. For a week or two each summer, they enjoy discovering new adventures along the western coast of Michigan.


Connect with Laurie on her website, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Goodreads, and Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment