Pages

Thursday, October 1, 2020

The Call with Kaitlyn Sanchez

So for me, the call was the icing on the cake because the response to my query was what truly got me. 

The first line that Joyce sent me was something I've always hoped for but never thought would happen. 

She wrote: "OMG I LOVE this!" 

I immediately knew Joyce was for me because that is EXACTLY how I would react to something I loved. 

Our call was mainly there to confirm how on the same page we are and have a little fun getting to know each other better.

I know everyone says this, but it's extra true for me. I am incredibly lucky that Joyce took a chance on me. The story I sent her was a new style for me. She said she can take me on if I could do that again. A tall order and something she knew wasn't easy, but it was fair and honest (two top priorities for me). She told to think "outrageous"—that's my style (something I wasn't aware of before). Lo and behold, I sat down after that conversation, and outrageous story ideas just poured out of me. I sent one draft to her and the whole outrageous ideas document (which was longer than you'd expect) and she loved it! On our call she couldn't wait to talk about which iseas she loved the most. That passion for my ideas and connection to my work, that's what I've been waiting for, hoping for, and can't believe I've found.

I didn't realize the story I queried Joyce with showed my trir writing voice until Joyce took the time to encourage me. Now I've written two other stories like it, and they just flowed out. My critique partners keep saying they love the voice, and I fondly thank them and tell them, "Joyce found my voice." (As a rhymer, this saying makes me extra happy).

A big shout out to the amazing woman who connected me to Joyce: Mindy Alyse Weiss. 

Thank you Seymour Agency, thank you Mindy, and thank you Joyce for believing in me and seeing me, and helping my dreams come true.


About Kaitlyn Leann Sanchez: 

Kaitlyn Leann Sanchez is a writer of humorous picture books and an active member of SCBWI. She's a proud finalist  from the 2019 Picture Book Party event. Kaitlyn is the co-creator and co-host of the many contests including: the Spring Fling Kidlit Contest, the Kidlit Fall Writing Frenzy, and Kidlit Zombie Week. Kaitlyn is also an associate literary agent, helping writers achieve their dreams of publication. 

She was born, raised, and has always stayed in California's Central Valley, where she lives with her family and teaches junior high school math. When Kaitlyn isn't writing, teaching, or agenting, you can find her eating cookies, laughing with her hilarious family, or out on the soccer field, but you'll never find her cleaning. She would definitely rather be sucked into a vacuum than use it!

Website: https://kaitlynleannsanchez.com/

Twitter: @KaitlynLeann17 

Facebook Author Page: https://www.facebook.com/KaitlynLeann17/  

No comments:

Post a Comment