Pages

Thursday, December 3, 2020

Curiouser and Curiouser with Kyan Howland

Kyan Howland - Repped by Joyce Sweeney

Curiouser and Curiouser

Since being a child, I’ve felt how stories permeate the atmosphere.

Being a sensory synesthetic I wake every day to taste, listen, breathe, feel, and see everyday stories come and go. I worked decades as a hospice nurse witnessing those final moments, holding hundreds of stories with my heart, hearing both adventure and regret.

I’m especially curious about what others call mistakes. Like Miles Davis, I believe they can be music as you choose the next note and moment. As a writer and relentless editor, I’ve struggled with perfection but never let it keep me from making up homemade songs as a child died. I enjoy taking a few favorites and putting them to a new song on my guitar, like the one I did for a three year old called Oopsa' Daisy Dinosaur.  

And so when another mistake happened where the convertible top ordered was the wrong color, I went with it and made the most of it. Having a sandy top rather than black, demanded a blue car rather than silver. So with the help of friends I dipped my car deep sea blue. Then we added images of mermaids and ideas from stories and songs I wrote and put them all over my new art car. This has sparked much dialogue in parking lots as families ask about the rainbow hive or the phrase ‘slow is the new fast” uttered by the purple turtle on the bumper.

I believe taking time to be curious doesn’t kill the cat, whoever came up with that metaphor missed alot. As my blue cat Vega nestles beside me, she would agree, be curious and find the magic in the moment, which has never been more important at this time on the planet.


About Kylan Howland:

Kyan is an award-winning Singer/Songwriter and Author.  Her love of instruments from handspan to acoustic guitar, and her four octave voice make for an incredible reading and keynote.  Studying with Bobby McFerrin and earning her Masters in Creative Writing, she innovates with word and sound.  Westside Voice wrote “she enchanted both young and old”.  

She created the Lullaby Club online, where her stories, songs, and ASMR relax the whole family.  Her social media LIVES reach thousands and she’s been featured on Public Radio, as well as being a popular artist-in-residence at schools, hospitals, and conferences.  She painted her blue convertible with magical images from her stories and songs with the help of friends, and is beloved as the singing nurse.  

Having worked hospice and behavioral health, she knows the edge where a child jumps from a window and a grandmother reveals her secret cinnamon bun recipe with her last breath.   Her own NDE gave her a love life to cloud nine and a bravery to advocate for the planet and LGBTQ community.   

She lives on the shores of a great lake with her cat Vega, and they both turn mermaid on Saturdays, because life is too brief and beautiful, not to! 

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/secretmermaidstuff

Email: secretmermaidstuff432@gmail.com

Instagram: @kyanmermaid

Twitter: @MermaidKyan

No comments:

Post a Comment