Pages

Thursday, August 13, 2020

The Call with Shachi Kaushik

I first happened to cross paths with Lynnette Novak on Twitter. I sent her my manuscript seeing her pinned tweet. In a couple of days Lynnette got back to me expressing keen interest and requesting to have a phone call.   

Being a first timer, this was an exciting as well a nervous moment for me. I took help from my SCBWI community to understand what to expect from an agent call.

What I thought would be like a job interview turned out to be a candid conversation between me and my agent Lynnette. 
 
She was seeking more clarity on my work, my motivation behind writing picture books, my long-term vision and goal, and gauging if a working relationship could be established. Right from the get-go Lynnette made me feel at ease. She spoke of my manuscript’s potential.
 
As much as Lynnette, I was also trying to figure out if my agent would be a right fit for me. This is a long-term relationship.
 
She answered all my questions and cleared my doubts about the process and the final product. She discussed her approach when it comes to showcasing work to publishers. I can recall Lynnette’s words stating ‘teach my clients how to improve their writing and grow as authors’ was a very important factor for me. Knowing that she herself has been a writer and worked as a freelancer editor, I knew I wanted someone like her. I knew a writer with the editorial eye could help me tweak my work and further enrich my ideas.
 
Lynnette offered representation to me over the phone. Finally, I accepted Lynnette’s offer in writing. I really liked her enthusiasm for my work and felt a great connection and was able to imagine her being part of my picture book writing journey.
 
My agent and I finally made it official on Social Media using Twitter (#TeamNovak) and also on other platforms consecutively. YAY!!!
 
For me it was a stay at home celebration maintaining social distancing. 
 

About Shachi Kaushik:


Hailing from a legal profession back in India, Shachi found her new calling in life when she moved to the US a couple years back to start her married life. Shachi spends significant time volunteering for activities at the Round Rock Public Library as the host for Bilingual Hindi-English Storytime. Shachi’s writing is a whole-hearted attempt to retain the diminishing culture and tradition that could be passed to generations to come. 

 

Shachi also spends time mentoring students which further helps her develop new ideas to serve the Children-Parent community through her book writing. She is a monthly contributor to Austin South Asian for the “Picture Book World” section and her articles have also appeared in Austin Family and BrownGirl Magazine.

 

Twitter: 

@KaushikShachi

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment