Pages

Monday, May 10, 2021

Interview with Jodie Eckleberry-Hunt, Ph.D., A.B.P.P.

Author of Move on Motherf*cker: Live, Laugh, and Let Sh*t Go

Get to Know: Jodie Eckleberry-Hunt, Ph.D., A.B.P.P.



Tell us a little bit about yourself and your writing career. 


For many years, I wrote scientific research articles on physician burnout and wellness - mainly academic medicine. In 2017, I began a whole new writing career in relatable self-help. 3. I've always loved writing because I find it healing. 


When did you realize you wanted to be a writer? 


I have known that I wanted to be a professional author since 2002; however, I was too scared to take the leap. I had too many "not good enough" thoughts. Age and experience has taught me this was BS, and I went for it. 


Why are you a writer? 


I write because it helps me manage my own whirlwind thoughts and because I hope it helps others. 


What is your writing schedule like?


With my kids and my private practice, my schedule is crazy so I don't have a set writing schedule. It is more fits and spurts. By the time I sit down to write, hours can pass because I've saved so much. 


What advice would you give yourself if you could go back in time before you were published? 


Advice: "Steel yourself. This will be the hardest thing you have ever done, and all of the rejections don't mean your work isn't worthy. Take your time. It's a journey." 


What has been the most thrilling part of being published? 


I don't know that I have found anything about being published thrilling. It has been a roller coaster of anxiety. I'm still waiting to kick up my feet and just feel thrilled. 


What do you think makes a good book?


I am incredibly picky about what I call "a good book." A good book is one that hooks me from the beginning with emotion or mystery. I want to be swept off my feet.


How did you come up with the idea for your book?


I chose the title Move On Motherf*cker because it is my favorite self-talk phrase. It defines the book. 


What was the hardest part of writing your book? 


The hardest part of writing Move on Motherf*cker was letting go of the emotional attachment so that good editing could happen. 


How long does it take you to write a book? 


To write the initial manuscript took about 4 months. Editing and re-writes took much longer. Patience is a must! 


How many books have you written, and which one is your favorite?


I have written a total of 5 books - 3 are in the works. Move On Motherf*cker will always be my favorite because it made everything real. 


Do you buy books based on the cover or the blurb? 


I do buy books based on the inside description. If the brief intro doesn't capture me, I put it back. I'm no-nonsense that way. 


What books have influenced your writing? 


I LOVE Brene' Brown, but she would probably not be flattered if I said she influenced my writing. Sarah Knight has probably influenced me the most. She puts it right out there, and she is so relatable. 


Do you prefer ebooks, paperbacks, or hardcover? 


I only read paper books, and I am cheap so I generally wait for them to be printed in soft cover. I need to feel the book in my hand. 


What were the last three books you read?


I recently read Into the Woods by Harlan Coben and Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens. I am currently reading The Guardians by John Grisham.


What do you do when you're not writing? 


I have my private practice and executive coaching gig, which takes a lot of my time. When I am not working, I spend time with the family. I love to travel and to exercise. 


What is your typical day like? 


My typical day is run, run, run. I exercise first thing, get cleaned up, and I typically see patients during the day while running the kids to their activities. I've learned to be very flexible. I don't typically get to write until the weekends.


What's one thing you can't live without?


I can't live without exercise. I have generalized anxiety disorder, and exercise is my medicine. 



About Jodie


Jodie Eckleberry-Hunt, PhD, ABPP, is a board-certified health psychologist who has been in professional practice for more than 20 years. She lives in Michigan with her family, including the family treasure, Bacon—the dog prince.


jodieeckleberryhunt.com


No comments:

Post a Comment