Pages

Tuesday, December 15, 2020

The Call With Carol Coven Grannick

It was just another pandemic day. I planned to be busy with marketing and PR-related planning and doing after my morning cardio walk, stretches, and breakfast. But first, during an early hour of the morning, I had my coffee, checked emails, and noticed an interview with a new agent on "The Mixed-Up Files..." blog. I opened it, prepared for the usual description of wishlist requests that would have nothing to do with what I wrote. I felt a slow "zing" meander through my body as I read, "Lyrical picture books and novels in verse" (huh? really?) and a little statement indicating the kind of positive attitude and emotional resilience I write in my columns and guest blog posts. I finished the interview and looked up Joyce Sweeney at Twitter. "I'm not accepting submissions." Okay. I'm respectful of what people say. Ten or twenty years ago, I would have shrugged, felt sad for a few minutes, then moved on. On this day, though, well into my writing journey and feeling pretty comfortable with who I am and what I write, I decided to email Joyce. With respect for her statement about being closed to submissions, I let her know that I'd never seen such a good match, and that I'd appreciate it if she would consider my work once she reopened to submissions. And I meant it. I just wanted to connect, and respect the limit that was presented. Shortly after (I mean, a few minutes), I received a lovely email from Joyce: "I like your style, Carol—please send me your best work." I felt so immediately comfortable that I conveyed that my "best" work involved several different types of picture books, listed them, and asked her to choose. She did. She loved it, and asked for more...and then more...until I'd sent almost all my ready-to-go file of varied-subject, varied-voice picture books. She read, we talked, we signed. I have never felt so relaxed and comfortable with an agent. I trust her to care for my work and help me guide it in the right direction as necessary. As a longtime children's writer with a debut novel-in verse this September (2020), and poetry for the very young in a number of the children's magazines, I feel a freedom to refocus even more energy on my writing, since my written and revised work is in the best of hands.


About Carol Coven Grannick:

Carol Coven Grannick is an author, poet, and chronicler. Her poetry and fiction for young children has appeared or is forthcoming in numerous magazines, including Hello, Babybug, Highlights, Ladybug, and Cricket. She is a regular columnist for the Illinois SCBWI Prairie Wind, reporter for Cynthia Leitich Smith's award-winning blog, Cynsations, and a member of the GROG blog. Her awards include: Finalist, 2014 Katherine Paterson Award at Hunger Mountain (VCFA) Honorable Mention, 2018, Sydney Taylor Manuscript Competition Ragdale Foundation Writing Residency, 2016 Illinois Arts Council Grant, 2019. She is a member of The Society for Children's Writers and Illustrators and The Chicago Writers Association. She looks forward to many conversations with young readers about REENI'S TURN.

Website: https://carolcovengrannick.com

No comments:

Post a Comment